Easy, Quick to prep and scrumptious. THIS baingan bharta (roasted eggplant) recipe is one veg dish that is a sure pleaser in our home. What’s more is that it converts into a new and exciting meal without the extra effort. What’s not to get excited about folks? And it tastes just like the restaurant style..without the heap of oil and masala.
Baingan Bharta is a favorite South Asian dish. It’s made by roasting the eggplants until very soft. The flesh is scraped from the skin and cooked with tomatoes, peppers, onions, garlic, and spices. A delicious roasted aubergine dish, that is simple and without the use of too many spices.
One versatile Eggplant Dish!
With Summer holidays in full swing, we are spending considerable time out’n about. I’ve used this baingan bharta to spread on rotis, tortillas and bread. Add a sprinkle of cheese, and this fast and snappy recipe transforms into a mouthwatering and desi~licious pizza. Serves great as a pasta sauce too. Did I hear you say “pasta sauce?” OH YES! We add extra tomatoes to make it a bit runny and it pairs beautifully with pasta. Feeling adventurous? Throw the baingan bharta in the blender, add some cooked chick peas, and va va vroom! You have your very own baba ganoush recipe…desi~licious style!
Let’s take a closer look at eggplant
Did you know that eggplant is actually a fruit? More specifically, a berry in fact! Available all year round, but at its peak in August-September. A good source of fibre and low in calories, you can eat eggplant to your heart’s content. Want to hear some science? Well, evidence suggests that soluble dietary fibre (e.g. eggplant) slows gastric emptying and delays the absorption of sugar in your blood, thereby improving blood sugar control.
Do you love eggplant as much as us?
- 3 eggplants, medium
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 onion, large, finely chopped
- ½ tbsp garlic, crushed
- 1 bell pepper, red (1 cup frozen red peppers)
- 2 medium tomatoes, fresh
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 green chilli, large (you can leave out if you like)
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Sprinkle with fresh coriander
- Preheat the oven to 380 degrees F
- Rinse the eggplant in water and poke around each eggplant with a fork
- Roast in the oven for 30 minutes or until tender, turning them around after150 mins to ensure even cooking. You can roast these in advance and place in the fridge until you are ready to prep the whole dish
- Peel the skin or scape the flesh of the eggplant and mash
- In a pan, fry the mustard seeds until they start crackling
- Add the onion and garlic and fry until brown
- Add the peppers and cook until soft (about 5 minutes)
- Add the tomatoes, curry powder, salt and chilli
- Cook until the tomatoes are soft and mashed (5-10 minutes). You will also begin to notice the oil separating from the mixture
- Add the mashed eggplant, stir well and cover
- Cook for 15 mins minutes on slow/medium heat, stirring occasionally
- Add a squeeze of lemon and sprinkle with fresh coriander
- Simply desi~licious!
Baingan Bharta is a favorite South Asian dish. It's made by roasting the eggplants until very soft. The flesh is scraped from the skin and cooked with tomatoes, peppers, onions, garlic, and spices. A delicious roasted aubergine dish, that is simple and without the use of too many spices.
So, kuch kuch hota hai? If you try this recipe, would love to hear from you! Leave a comment, rate it, or share a photo and hashtag with #desiliciousrd on Instagram and twitter! Can’t wait to see your photos.
- Canadian Diabetes Association: Clinical Practice Guidelines http://guidelines.diabetes.ca/browse/Chapter11